Thursday, December 3, 2015

Simulacra, simulation and the Sony PlayStation?

In retrospect, during Thanksgiving break I did a lot more than it seemed, although not necessarily the things I had on my agenda. Instead of finishing up all my final projects early so I could take a breather for the rest of the semester, I had the surprise of a lifetime when nuclear armageddon struck and I found my way into an underground shelter. Instead of catching up on leisure reading or the year’s biggest albums, I traveled a futuristic hellscape where monsters roam free and heads explode if you shoot them just right. Instead of cleaning my room, I cleaned up entire towns of debris and detritus, building houses and entire communities with sheer will alone.

I played entirely too much Fallout 4 over break, so in reality I was just sitting on my couch pressing buttons and twisting joysticks. But even though I was consciously aware of the fact that I was a guy in a room with friends looking at a screen, I was also completely immersed in the experience. When I would come out of a particularly arduous battle against an enemy victoriously, I felt immense relief, and also wariness that my supplies were now diminished. When my dog was hurt, I would heal him with a swift medical injection, lest his pixellated form whimper on the floor. I felt a lot of what my character is supposed to feel, whether that’s gratitude and warmth towards a friend or ally, or malice and anger towards someone who had done me wrong. I am not the Sole Survivor of Vault 111, but he is I.

Basically for as long as video games have been around, concerns have been raised about whether the hobby is entirely healthy or not. Serious gamers are allegedly crippled by compulsions, unable to leave the closed systems they inhabit and choosing to turn their back on real social interactions, real pursuits, real reality. It’s a hotly contested issue, with research leading right now to the conclusion that it’s not really a thing like media scandals wanted you to believe ten years ago. Yet that lingering threat of disappearing into imaginary universes still remains.

Maybe it’s a sign of the times and of my generation, but all of this seems perfectly related to Jean Baudrillard. “Simulacra and Simulations” was published in 1981, right around the same time that Donkey Kong came on the scene and Atari’s reign began to crumble, and a lot of what he says sounds absolutely crazy (because it is, and because Walt Disney’s head isn’t actually frozen!) But what other version of a simulation is more potent and widespread in the world today than a video game life? Games are massive collages of simulacra that we know are not real, but which strive to become realer and more life-like graphically as time goes on. Does that mean Baudrillard was right along and we see it before our very eyes? Are we coming out with the sequel to Reality, where we can be stronger, faster, better, happier?

I think it’s an interesting thought, but just like I’m skeptical of a video game addiction epidemic, I’m skeptical of the idea they are undermining existence as a whole. For starters, the technology just isn’t there yet, as we still haven’t figured out how to get someone to strap on a virtual reality headset without wanting to throw up (we have our best people on it, though!) But there’s also the fact that most gamers simply don’t want that to happen in the first place, any more than movie fans want to live in movies or people who love to watch sports want to see the action from the field. If humanity has evolved in any direction, it’s not into worlds of our own craft, but into our living rooms, where we can be comfortable and merry. A world where we are all plugged in to games to the point where society crumbles might make for a good science fiction novel, but it’s so out of touch with reality that it’s more fairy dust than simulacra.



No comments:

Post a Comment