Friday, December 18, 2015

Women Writers

Neil Gaiman once said; “I like stories where women save themselves”, which is something that I believe that more and more women are trying to do themselves nowadays. I think that in a way, they are doing that through writing to express themselves and give their insights through the art of storytelling or other forms of work.
For my Women Writers class, I had done a lot of research for a project I did, and I found a lot of sad but true, interesting things about women writers that I thought were important to share with all of you. I learned that it’s more dangerous and that’s partially why there are fewer women writers online than men writers. I was not surprised when I saw that there was few women writers, and the ones that are able to write and publish their work, are finding it harder to make a living as a writer because men are dominating in that field. I read in one of the articles that 75% and more are men, even though women are the majority of readers and book buyers. I read that in 2013, women topped men 82% to 69% when it came to how much they read. Women certainly aren’t paid nearly as much as men, and some admittedly said this to them.
 One woman writer, feminist Jessica Valenti had essentially said that because of the harassment she has faced online by being a feminist and a woman writer, if she could start over, she just might have done it completely anonymous, because the harassment is that bad. It’s not even criticism anymore, it’s blatant harassment. Women are often feeling unsafe writing now because of the harassment. I think in a way that’s just a demand for more women to stand up and stand out. One of the articles said “Women, urged to tell their stories, are being ferociously punished when they do.” Women are being threatened with rape and death among writing things online, and if that doesn’t say that there is a problem, I don’t know what does. One thing throughout my research that upset me was how with all the harassment and abuse women writers face, they are basically told to just get a thicker skin. It is NOT that simple! It’s draining and dehumanizing to face such harsh and terrifying words. So bad to the point that a lot of women writers are being diagnosed with things like PTSD and having to see therapists. All for wanting to follow their passion and share their work with others, which is absolutely sickening. We are losing many brilliant women writers because they think that they are failing, and they are scared to write because of all the hate they get for doing so. This is a form of hate crime that I think needs to be stopped, and stopped quick. That’s why I encourage other women who enjoy writing to write, and share their work publicly and I think the easiest way to do so is by doing it online. Men are not the only ones who can write. Start making women the heroes, instead of just giving them advice on  “how to get the guy” . Don’t allow your opinion on women be based solely on how men write them.
Men and women are equal, just some different hardware. I just hope within the next few years, women are shown to write more than just that and that we are treated better when sharing our ideas and stories. Everyone should be equal, especially in our writing because that is one of the most important things someone could do. Why is that? Writing teaches, and can save lives, so support women writers so we may share our knowledge on such things.
Links to where I found this information:




No comments:

Post a Comment